Wednesday, May 14, 2008

After the show...


Having been working systematically for the last 3+ months on the musical production of 'The World Goes 'Round - The Music of Kander and Ebb' I'm feeling a little at a loose end now that that wonderful experience is over.

True, there were tears of frustration on my part about getting some of the numbers perfect - I freely admit I was the weakest singer in the cast - but I learned so much during the rehearsals, and the show week was awesome. So much fun being out there on stage singing such clever, catchy songs :)

I was going to start a Jazz Vocal Workshop this Thursday after work at WAAPA, but unfortunately it has now been cancelled due to lack of numbers. Sigh. I initially thought, well, I'll find another singing course or lessons or something. But then I realised that this was procrastinating on what I really needed to do - namely getting back to my Mandarin studies.

Yes, I have been slack and barely touched my Chinese text books - I was sorely disappointed with my TAFE language teacher last year, and had expected someone as interesting and awesome as my Japanese teacher the previous year.

Mandarin is an infinitely more difficult dialect with it's tonal intricacies but I'm usually fairly decent with picking up languages so I didn't expect to find the class so uninspiring. But I'm determined to devote at least 2 hours weekly towards getting through the text and being a lot more familiar with the language before I go. After all, the trip there is the ultimate payoff, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry we missed the show Jude - Jess told us you were amazing.
(Thanks for sharing your blog with us - I'll be checking it often.)
Sue C.