Friday, April 18, 2008

Counting down to the Olympics! But in the meantime...

I've been looking forward to this for so long, I've almost forgotten what it's like to be overseas.
http://en.beijing2008.cn/

If you know me, you know I enjoy travelling, visiting a foreign culture and immersing myself in the language, the wacky idiosyncrasies of a new place, and just trying to communicate and buy food (you wouldn't think this would be that much of a problem in most English speaking countries, but watch out for alternate realities like Quebec in Canada!)

Anyway, the last time I went overseas was Japan in late 2006; an exquisite holiday, where I bathed naked in the hot springs of Hakone (it's the custom!), attempted to compose gorgeous pictures of autumnal Japan (along with all the other domestic tourists - the Japanese love to tour their own country) and shopped quite a bit on 'cultural artifacts and curios' - translation, I couldn't resist buying a couple of yukatas (light summer kimonos), a parasol, toys, lanterns and kites, culminating with a purchase of an uchikake, a long white formal kimono what I hope to one day grace a suitable wall space. Pretty!

Lord knows what I'll bring back the next time I go to Japan (for I will, I'm fascinated by it's slightly fatalistic, perennially cute and yet altogether mysterious customs and history).

Keep me away from Studio Ghibli!
http://www.studioghibli.net/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yahh, I'm the first :))
Can't wait to hear all about your adventures.
Love
Bev